Tips from KW – Choosing a Neighborhood
There are many factors to consider when selecting a neighborhood that is right for you. Below are just a few of the many factors — you may think of others that are important to you.
Neighborhoods have characteristic personalities designed to best suit single people, growing families, two-career couples, or retirees.
SCOUT THE NEIGHBORHOOD!
- It is important that you scout the neighborhood in person. You live in more than your house.
- Talk to people who live there.
- Drive through the entire area at different times of the day, during the week and on weekends.
- Look carefully at how well other homes in the area are being maintained; are they painted, are the yards well cared for; are parked cars in good condition, etc.
NEIGHBORHOOD FACTORS TO CONSIDER
- Look for things like access to major thoroughfares, highways, and shopping.
- Listen for noise created by commerce, roads, railways, public areas, schools, etc.
- Smell the air for adjacent commerce or agriculture.
- Check with local civic, police, fire, and school officials to find information about the area.
- Research things like soil and water.
- Look at traffic patterns around the area during different times of the day and drive from the area to work.
- Find out if the neighborhood is near parks, churches, recreation centers, shopping, theaters, restaurants, public transportation, schools, etc.
- Find out if the neighborhood belongs to a Homeowner’s Association.
Here is a list of links to more information about specific Philadelphia Neighborhoods:
Art Museum Area, Avenue of the Arts, Bella Vista, Chinatown, Fishtown, Fitler Square, Graduate Hospital, Logan Square, Northern Liberties, Old City, Powelton Village, Queen Village, Rittenhouse Square, Society Hill, University City, Washington Square, East Passyunk, Girard Estate, Marconi Park, Newbold, Packer Park, Passyunk Square, Pennsport, Whitman.
This is brought to you by Philadelphia Real Estate Blog
To view every Philadelphia Real Estate Listing, including Philadelphia Condos visit www.CenterCityRealEstate.com